Purchased from McDonald Estate in Wylie, Texas in 1990. Dated 1954.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 pound Beef brisket
- 1 large white Onion, chopped
- ½ cup Dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Rinse beans under running water and place in a large kettle with water.
- Let sit for about 30 minutes then bring to bowling.
- Cover, lower heat and cook 15 minutes. Let stand 1 hour.
- Tim all fat from brisket and brown on all sides in remaining fat in a large skillet.
- Place brisket in bottom of heavy duty pot.
- Add beans, liquid, Onion, molasses, salt, ginger, mustard, pepper and bay leaves.
- Add water or additional stock if needed to cover meat and beans.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours adding liquid if necessary.
- Reduce to low heat and simmer for 8 hours.
- Remove brisket to a carving board and cut into slices.
- Spoon beans around Beef on platter.