Contributed by CM at World Recipes Y-Group
- 1 yellow cake mix or make your own from scratch
- ⅔ cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple slices
- maraschino cherries (enough to fill centers of pineapples)
Scratch cake Edit
- Place the butter and brown sugar in a frying pan and melt until it boils or bubbles.
- A cast iron pan works well because it's heavy and will be less likely to scorch.
- Place pineapples in the butter and sugar mixture.
- Put cherries in the center of the pineapple.
- Cut the slices of pineapple into halves and line the sides of the frying pan with them (standing up on edge).
- Prepare a box of yellow cake mix following the directions on the box to mix the batter (do not bake in a separate pan; follow instructions below), or if making a scratch cake, combine the cake ingredients and beat 1 minute.
- Pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries.
- Bake at 350°F.
- When the cake is done, loosen the edges with a butter knife.
- Remove from heat and allow to sit five minutes, then turn it upside down on a serving dish.
- Optional: instead of using a cake mix, you can prepare the batter from scratch using the recipe below, or any recipe for yellow cake.