A cool treat for a hot summer day!
- 3 cups fresh orange juice or other fresh fruit juice that is not made from a frozen concentrate
- 2 cups frozen pineapple chunks (use fresh pineapple)
- 2 cups frozen strawberries (fresh or whole frozen, non-sweetened Berries)
- 2 cups frozen banana chunks (2 medium bananas)
- 2 to 3 packages Equal brand sweetener, Splenda or other - optional
Remove crown and bottom and slice rind off of pineapple, quarter it lengthwise and remove core also slicing lengthwise. Slice pineapple crosswise into quarter 1- inch slices. Slice bananas into 2- inch chunks. If using fresh strawberries, wash, core and pat dry.
Place fruit on baking sheets, cover with plastic wrap, and freeze until solid, 30 to 60 minutes. This can be done well in advance. (I like to have frozen fruit on hand in freezer bags. After the fruit has frozen you can put it in a freezer bad or plastic covered container. The fruit has to be frozen in separate pieces on a baking sheet before you put it into a container or it will stick together in a mass.)
Place juice, fruit and sweetener if using in blender or food processor and process until smooth (If fruit is too hard to process, allow it to soften for 1 or 2 minutes before continuing.)
Serve at once or transfer or cover and chill for up to 60 minutes before serving. Smoothies are best served immediate after blending.