My friend gave this recipe to me a long time ago and my family loves it! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 3 cups French bread, cubed into 1/2 inch sections
- 1 (15 ounces) can crushed pineapple (Drain the syrup and save)
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease either a a square baking dish (8x8x2) or an oblong dish (10x6x1 1/2) Place bread cubes in greased dish, spread the pineapple on top.
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a small bowl, stir in brown sugar,lemon peel,cinnamon,salt and the reserved syrup.
- Slowly stir in the coconut milk.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes and pineapples.
- Bake uncovered about 30–40 minutes, or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on med.speed until foamy.
- Beat in 1/4 cup Sugar, 1 TBS at a time, and beat until stiff and glossy.Spread over pudding.
- Bake until golden brown, approx 8–10 minutes.Let stand 5–10 minutes before serving.