Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Makes 20 pigs-in-blankets.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- ¼ cup chilled vegetable shortening
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 10 frankfurters, ends trimmed and frankfurters halved crosswise
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a large baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat germ.
- Blend in shortening with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together buttermilk or yogurt and yolk and stir into flour mixture, stirring until mixture just forms a moist dough.
- Knead dough 4 times on a floured surface and with a floured rolling pin roll out into a 12-inch square.
- Cut dough into 1½-inch-wide strips and roll a strip around middle of a frankfurter until dough just overlaps.
- Cut Pig-in-Blanket free from strip and make 19 more Pigs-in-Blankets in same manner, arranging them, seam sides down, as they are made on prepared baking sheet. (Pigs-in-Blankets may be prepared up to this point 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.)
- Bake Pigs-in-Blankets in upper third of oven until pale golden, about 15 minutes.