- In a large pot, combine pigeon peas and just enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the peas begin to become tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the thin coconut milk, continue to simmer over low heat.
- Add more water as necessary to prevent the peas from becoming dry.
- While peas are simmering: heat a few tablespoons of oil in a skillet.
- Add the curry powder to the oil and stir for a minute.
- Fry the onion and chile pepper until they are tender.
- Combine the peas and onion-chile mixture; continue to simmer until peas are tender enough to eat.
- Add the thick coconut milk and simmer on the lowest possible heat for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with boiled rice.