Makes about 2 pints.
- 1 pound tender young okra
- ½ small habanero or other hot chile, sliced thin, or to taste
- 1 small onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pickling spice
- 2 tablespoons salt (optional)
- Wash the okra and pick it over, removing any pods that are hard and woody and any with soft spots.Pack the okra into hot sterilized pint canning jars, stem ends down.
- Place the remaining ingredients into a nonreactive saucepan and bring them to a boil over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and slowly pout over the okra in the jars.
- Seal the jars according to proper canning procedures, and store them in a cool dark place for 4 weeks, then serve as a condiment.