Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 lbs salt herring fillets
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup white vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon whole allspice
- ¼ teaspoon dill seeds
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 red onion
- Soak the fillets in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Change water twice.
- To make the pickling solution, combine water, vinegar, seasonings and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Stir to dissolve sugar; let cool.
- Rinse the fillets with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut in 1-inch pieces removing bones.
- Peel and slice onion.
- Separate slices into rings.
- Arrange herring and onion rings in alternate layers in sterilized jars.
- Cover with pickling solution and cap.
- Refrigerate at least 3 days before serving.
- The herring will keep up to 3 weeks refrigerated.