Alternate version: The soup can be made richer by adding some thick cream together with the gherkins. Do not use milk, as the liquid from the gherkins will split up the milk into curd and whey…which will not happen if you use cream because it has a higher percentage of fat.
Beef and beef broth can be swapped with chicken, and chicken broth for a lighter dish.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- ½ celery root, diced
- ½ lb beef, in medium cubes
- 4 large pickled gherkins + some of the liquid from the gherkins
- ½ cup white rice
- 2 cup beef broth
- dill to garnish
- Stir-fry the meat with some olive oil, add onion, stir til the onion gets slightly translucent
- Add celery root and carrots, stir for about half a minute more, add broth.
- When the meat is done add rice.
- After about 10 minutes add the chopped or ground gherkins and some of their liquid.
- Let simmer some more until the rice is done and serve hot.
- This soup is supposed to have a slightly sour taste from the gherkins.
- Garnish with dill.