- 2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 2 California avocados
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cups olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Prepare pesto. Line 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with foil.
- Beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cups cream cheese mixture into bottom of loaf pan; spread evenly.
- Spread pesto over cream cheese layer
- Spoon another 1 cup cream cheese mixture over pesto, spreading evenly.
- Halve, seed and peel avocados. Cut each half into 8 slices but do not pull apart. Lay sliced avocado halves on cream cheese layer and top with remaining cream cheese mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Thirty minutes before serving, lift the torta from the loaf pan and remove foil.
- Serve with large slices of French bread.
- Blend all ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Serve as a dip or spread for the torta.