- Brown the meat and add about 1½ cups water.
- Add tomato paste, turmeric, cinnamon, saffron and salt and pepper and sautéed onion.
- Cook covered at a simmer for about 1½ to two hours.
- meat should be tender and nearly falling apart stage.
- You may need to add water during cooking but you shouldn't end up with more than the stated amount. You don't want a watery stew.
- In the meantime, seed the pumpkin and slice into 2x2 inch pieces and peel.
- Brown on both sides in corn oil.
- The pumpkin should become brown in some places and somewhat flexible but not totally cooked.
- Add to meat and cook covered an additional 20-30 minutes until tender but not falling apart.
- A fork should go into the pumpkin easily but not break it up.
- Add the prunes the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- They shouldn't really cook too much but should get warm.
- Serve over hot basmati rice.