A red-hot combination of a hero sandwich and the authentic pepperoni is a bold appetizer eaten on other occasions and is great for side dishes, as it often keeps a robust taste with the bread, peppers, and sausage.
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced fine
- 3 – 4 large cubanelle/Sicilian peppers, seeded and sliced fine
- 4 links spicy Italian-style soy "sausage", sliced into pennies or rounds
- 2 packs of pepperoni
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- coarse-ground pepper, black or red only
- salt to taste
- 1 loaf of Baguette
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Sauté the sliced onion and peppers until soft, in olive oil.
- As they soften, add the garlic, pepperoni, and sausage, and toss often until both the sausage and pepperoni are well browned and the peppers are limp, adding more olive oil as needed.
- Split the baguette in half lengthwise and toast briefly.
- Sprinkle the insides with olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper; fill with peppers, onions and sausage.
- Serve hot and plain or with other appetizers. Sell per piece, if desired.