A bold combination of real beef, herbs, and spices is made tangier in taste and cooked to a red-hot aroma, as it typically adds some reddish zest to the meat.
- 2 – 3 pounds beef round roast
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat an oven to 350° F.
- Combine black pepper, mustard, garlic, allspice, and red pepper; stir in oil to form paste. Rub evenly over surface of beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert the meat thermometer into the thickest part of roast, not touching fat. Do not add water. Do not cover.
- Roast in 325° F in an oven approximately 1 ¾ to 2 hours for medium rare doneness, and 2 ¼ to 2 ½ hours for medium doneness.
- Remove the roast when the meat thermometer registers 140° F for medium rare, and 155° F for medium. Cover roast with aluminum foil tent and allow to stand 15 to 20 minutes.
- Roast will continue to rise about 5° F in temperature to reach 145° F for medium rare doneness, and 160° F for medium doneness. Trim excess fat from roast before carving. Serve hot and plain.
- Beef Round Roast, Frozen, Ready-to-Cook by the US Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe