Pepernoten (Peppernuts) is a biscuit (cookie) but not just your average sphere with ingredients. If you're looking for something that has more punch and visual interest, these turn out more like large buttons than flat disks. Regardless of shape they're very tasty.
- 200 grams self raising flour
- pinch salt
- 150 grams dutch syrup (stroop)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- pinch of ground anise seed
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Sift the flour with the salt and spices into a bowl.
- Make a hollow in the top of the mound and pour in the syrup.
- Mix everything from the centre and knead into thick dough.
- Place in the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about ½ cm, and make into small, marble-sized balls.
- You can use an apple corer for this. Don't have one? Wash the top of a soda/water bottle and use it instead.
- Grease a cookie sheet — or use a non-stick one — and put the ‘marbles’ on it.
- Press them down slightly.
- Put in the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until done and golden brown.