- Place red peppers on top of gas burner or under broiler 4 to 5 minutes, turning as skin blackens.
- Remove and place in paper bag until cool.
- Peel off charred skin and discard seeds.
- Cut peppers into thin strips; set aside.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in large deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add reserved peppers and cook, stirring often, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, vinegar and basil.
- Cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in soy milk and simmer gently.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta to boiling water, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Cook pasta until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Add pasta and toss to coat.
- Serve hot.