Always check the ingredients to make sure the product is vegan.
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ pound diced bell peppers (I mix red and green)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried crushed red pepper
- 1 eggplant, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 cup sliced fresh basil
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped kalamata
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 12 oz penne
- 14 ounces fake feta
- Brush 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons oil.
- Heat remaining 6 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers, garlic and crushed pepper; sauté 3 minutes.
- Add eggplant and oregano.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover; cook until eggplant softens, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in tomatoes with juices, ½ cup basil, tomato paste and vinegar.
- Cover; simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite; drain well.
- Stir pasta into vegetable mixture.
- Transfer to prepared dish.
- Cover dish with foil (can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake pasta covered until heated through, about 20 minutes (40 minutes if refrigerated).
- Sprinkle with fake feta, then ½ cup basil.