This can be a satisfying vegetarian meal in itself. You can add cubed chicken or shrimp for a complete meal. Substitute in-season vegetables, dial up or minimize the heat by controlling the amount of red pepper flakes.
- By Chef Antonio Cecconi (Original recipe
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 8 ounces Dreamfield's® penne rigate
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ cup broccoli florets, chopped
- ½ cup carrot, chopped
- ½ yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1½ cups marinara sauce
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté onion, broccoli, carrots, bell pepper and basil until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, garlic salt, hot pepper flakes and marinara sauce; reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Toss pasta with sauce mixture and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving :
- Calories 226kcal | Protein 10g | Carbohydrates 15g | Fat 7g | Saturated Fat 2g | Cholesterol 2mg | Sodium 505mg | Total Dietary Fiber 6g