- In cup, mix yeast, ½ cup warm water and 1 tsp sugar and let yeast develop.
- Cream ½ lb butter or 2 sticks butter, sugar, eggs in mixing bowl.
- Add warm milk and yeast mixture and beat well.
- Add 6 cups of flour along with the salt, nutmeg and cardamon till you have a soft dough. If it is too sticky, add the last cup of flour.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Cover and put in a warm place till double in size.
- Divide dough into 4 sections. One for each pretzel.
- Take one section of dough and divide it into 3 equal strips.
- On floured surface stretch each strip of dough lengthwise to about 15 inches. Use fingers to do so.
- Take one stick or ¼ lb chilled butter and cut stick into 8 or 10 long narrow slivers of cold butter.
- Lay these slivers of butter on top of each of the three dough strips, about 3 slivers to a strip.
- Use up all the butter in the stick.
- Using fingers, enclose the slivers of butter by wrapping the dough over the slivers. The object is to seal the butter in the strips.
- Now braid the 3 strips with the butter enclosed. Do it gently and keep it loose.
- Put the braided pretzel into a circle in an ungreased pan.
- Sprinkle over the top of pretzel at least ¼ of a cup of coarse chopped pecans.
- Bake at 350°F oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until light brown. Do not let the pecans burn.
- While pretzel is still warm, drizzle over almond sugar icing.