This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Love Estate in Sachse, Texas in 1984. The same recipe was part of the collection from the Stewart Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup butter melted
- 14 ounce package caramels unwrapped
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 24 ounces cream cheese softened
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pecan halves or pieces
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine crumbs, sugar and butter then press firmly on bottom of spring form pan.
- Reserve 10 caramels.
- In heavy saucepan combine remaining caramels and ½ cup half-and-half.
- Over medium low heat cook and stir until melted and smooth then stir in pecans.
- Spread over prepared crust and bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile in large mixer bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla then mix well and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour then cool.
- In small saucepan over low heat cook and stir reserved caramels and remaining half-and-half.
- Stir constantly until melted and smooth.
- Immediately spread over cake.
- Garnish with pecan halves then chill thoroughly.