- ¼ lb salt pork, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, fresh, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 cayenne chiles, stems and seeds removed or substitute 1 habanero pepper
- 2 cup rice
- ½ cup pigeon peas
- 1 qt chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fry the salt pork to render the fat. Add the oil, onion, bell pepper, and celery and saute until soft.
- Stir in the tomato paste, thyme and chile and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice, peas, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 35 minutes.