Why not start the day with a delicious and satisfying muffin? It's the perfect breakfast whether you have time to dine or need to grab something on the run! These wholesome, satisfying muffins are filled with tender pieces of pear and spiced with cinnamon. They freeze well; just heat in the toaster or microwave before serving.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: The South Beach Diet Phases 2 and 3 and also The South Beach Diet Quick & Easy Cookbook
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes | Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Makes 12 Servings
- 1½ cups whole-grain pastry flour
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 2 tbsp granular sugar substitute
- 1¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups 1 percent or fat-free buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 Bosc pear, cored and diced into ¼-inch cubes
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners or lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, bran, sugar substitute, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine buttermilk,eggs, oil, pear, and vanilla in another mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just to combine; do not overmix.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Nutrition Information Edit
- 130 calories | 5g total fat (0.5g sat) | 5g protein | 20g carbs | 5g fiber | 200 mg sodium