Wine Suggestions: Because the success of this salad depends on what you select at market, a light, dry white wine suits such a composed salad.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, or more as needed
- 5 oz soy bacon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar or honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups roasted sunflower seeds
- 2 cups cubed pineapple, preferably fresh
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- ½ pound mesclun salad mix, rinsed and dried
- sprigs chopped parsley for garnish
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, and cook soy bacon, several strips at a time, according to package directions.
- Drain strips on paper towels.
- When cool enough to handle, crumble or chop and set aside.
- Place peas in water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat, rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.
- To make dressing, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar or honey, salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- To assemble salad, layer serving bowl, starting with seeds, then peas, pineapple cubes, tomatoes and crumbled bacon.
- Dress as needed and toss before serving.