From Savannah's Candy Man Recipe courtesy Paula Deen, 2007
- Show: Paula's Party
- Episode: Candy Connection
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1¼ cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup pecans
- ½ cup cashews
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup almonds
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- In a nonstick saucepan, heat and stir sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Over high heat, using a candy thermometer, cook sugar mixture to a hard crack stage (290°F).
- Add nuts and butter and cook to 300°F stirring all the time to keep the nuts from burning.
- Pull off heat at 300°F and stir in baking soda while beating to a froth for 30 seconds.
- Pour at once on to 4 well buttered 15½ by 10 by 1-inch pans.
- Spread with a spatula as thin as possible.
- As the brittle cools you may use gloves to hand stretch the brittle which will give it a better eating quality.
- This brittle has a great shelf life, if kept in air tight zip locks or containers, it will keep for 2 months.