Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Fried pastries with meat filling
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons shortening, melted to lukewarm
- 1/2 cup milk, mixed with
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 lb ground Beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella Cheese, chopped
- 8 green olives, chopped
- oil (for deep frying)
- To prepare the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- Add the melted shortening and warm milk and water.
- Mix to a smooth dough and cut into 2 pieces.
- To prepare the filling, heat the oil in a frying pan, add the Onion and garlic and fry for 5 minutes until soft and golden.
- Add the tomatoes, ground Beef and salt.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until almost dry.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add the chopped parsley, egg, Cheese and and mix well.
- To assemble pastries, roll out the pastry on a floured board to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut 12, 4 inch circles from each piece, 24 circles.
- Place 1 tablespoon filling on each circle and moisten around the edge with warm water.
- Fold over and seal the edges well.
- Deep fry in preheated 375f degree oil for 4 to 5 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- The pastries are also delicious cold and make good picnic fare.
- They may also be made without the ground Beef.
- Variation to replace ground Beef, use finely chopped Ham, chopped Chicken, or Shrimp.