Pasta with Peas Prosciutto and Basil Cream Sauce from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 6 oz of your favorite pasta (suggestion: bowtie, penne, mostaccioli)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen (thawed) peas
- 1 x 12-ounce can of non-fat evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, smashed and minced
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain, then set aside in a serving bowl.
- While the pasta is cooking, add about ½ cup of water and bring to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Cook peas for 10 minutes then drain and discard remaining water in saucepan.
- Return peas to saucepan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the milk and flour then pour over the peas.
- Add the basil and garlic then stir to combine.
- Raise heat to medium and stir until thickened.
- Add the parmesan cheese and prosciutto and continue stirring until cheese is melted and mixture is combined then pour over the pasta.
- Toss pasta until well-coated with the sauce then serve with optional garnishes.