Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
I first ate a slightly different version of this recipe at an American Diner's called Sparky's in Chennai. The Not-so-skinny chef there had served the dish with chicken steak. I decided to use minced meat since its always not to easy to grill steaks at home. I guessed the contents of the creamy bourbon sauce and tried it. Needless to say the dish turned out superbly and was liked by all.
Hope you enjoy making and eating this with your loved people.
- 300 gms of pasta (penne or fusilli)
- 250 gms of minced meat or chicken
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- 8 – 10 pods of garlic
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 1 large onion sliced
- 3 cups of low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp of red wine or grape juice
- a few sprigs of coriander, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the pasta with 1 tsp of oil and a pinch of salt. Strain and set aside.
- Marinate the meat with salt, chilli, coriander and 1 tsp of chopped garlic.
- Prepare the white sauce. In a pan, melt the butter. Add remaining chopped garlic and fry till golden. Add the cornflour and reduce flame. Pour the milk while stirring continuously till the mixture thickens and no lumps are formed. Add salt. Reduce till the mixture roughly fills 2 cups.
- Brush another pan with a little oil. Caramelise the sugar. Fry the sliced onions till golden brown. Pour 1 cup of the white sauce and mix with the onions. Sizzle with a dash of red wine. Reduce flame and add the meat. Add salt. Cover and cook till the meat is done. Mix the remaining white sauce with the pasta.
- Preheat an oven to 150 deg. Layer a baking dish with the pasta. Spread the meat with the bourbon sauce on top. Cover with the remaining pasta. Finally, scatter grated cheddar cheese on the surface. Place in oven and bake for 15 minutes till the cheese melts and turns brown.
- Serve with toasted bread and soup.