- 4 lb chicken
- ⅓ cup shortening
- ⅓ cup onion, minced
- ⅓ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 can condensed clear chicken soup
- ⅓ cup almonds, chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp orange rind, grated
- 4 matzos, broken
- Sauté onion, celery and nuts in shortening until vegetables are tender.
- Add broken matzos and toast lightly.
- Combine salt, pepper, egg, soup and rind in large bowl.
- Add matzo mixture and mix well.
- Fill a 4 lb chicken and place bird on a rack in an open roasting pan with breast side down for first ½ of roasting time.
- Combine ingredients for glaze and pour over chicken.
- Bake in slow oven, 325°F for about 2 – 2½ hrs or until browned and tender.