Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Servings: 10 to 15
- 10 to 12 eggs
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cup very finely chopped almonds or pecans
- ¾ tsp pure vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- ¼ cup sugar
Dark chocolate glaze Edit
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1 tsp butter or margarine
- ½ tsp instant coffee crystals
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 3 tbsp dairy sour cream
- ¼ tsp maple flavoring
- Set a large mixer bowl in a sink filled with 2 inches of warm water.
- Separate eggs (you should have about 1½ cups whites).
- Pour the whites into the warm mixer bowl and place yolks in a smaller mixer bowl (or let separated eggs stand, covered, at room temperature for 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a small, heavy saucepan, partially melt unsweetened chocolate and semisweet chocolate pieces over low heat.
- Turn off heat and stir (chocolate will continue to melt).
- Cut a waxed paper liner for the bottom of a 10" tube pan, cutting it ½" wider than the pan and the center hole slightly larger than the tube.
- Grease pan thoroughly.
- Place liner in pan and grease liner.
- Beat egg yolks with an electric mixer on high speed for about 4 minutes or till they"re thick and lemon colored.
- Add the ⅔ cup sugar, beating till very thick.
- Stir in the melted chocolate and chopped nuts.
- Thoroughly wash and dry beaters.
- Beat egg whites with vanilla and almond extract till foamy.
- Gradually add the ¼ cup sugar to egg whites, beating till soft peaks form.
- Lighten egg yolk mixture with about 2 cups beaten egg whites.
- Add to the remaining egg white mixture and fold together to combine.
- Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 °F for about 40 minutes or till top springs back when lightly touched.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan and center to loosen.
- Cool in pan for 1 hour.
- Invert onto cake plate.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Prepare glaze; spread over top and sides of cake.