Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sushi, a representative food of japan, is a vinegared rice garnished with an assortment of fresh vegetables, fish and seasonings. You'll find many of the ingredients ... And the bamboo mat ... At an oriental food store.
- Yield: 10 servings; 5 rolls, 6 pieces/roll
- 2 cups white, short-grain rice preferably Japanese
- 3 cup water (or according to rice package directions)
- 3½ tbsp rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1 pk nori seaweed, large or medium (quality nori seaweed must be crisp. Look for a well-sealed package)
Filling combinations Edit
Chose from these:
- 1 cucumber, cut into thin strips the same length as seaweed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into thin strips
- fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 oz daikon radish, cut into strips
- 2 oz pickled ginger
- 4 oz small shrimp, cooked
- 4 oz prosciutto
- 1 bamboo mat, medium or large, for rolling sushi
- Cook rice in water for about 25 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Spread rice evenly over bottom of a large glass or wooden bowl.
- Mix vinegar, sugar and salt together in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle vinegar mixture generously over the rice.
- You may not need all the vinegar mixture. The rice should remain somewhat dry.
- With a large wooden spoon, mix rice with a slicing motion.
- Leave the rice in the bowl, covered with a damp cloth.
Sushi roll assembly Edit
- Place one sheet of nori seaweed on the bamboo mat.
- Spread approximately ¾ cup rice onto seaweed; flatten with the back of a spoon.
- Leave uncovered ⅜ inch (1 cm) at front of sheet and ¾ inch (2 cm at end of sheet.
- Place all filling ingredients at center.
- To form roll, lift one end of the mat and begin to roll and compress the seaweed.
- Use the mat only to help form the roll (it may be difficult at first to keep the mat from rolling with the seaweed).
- Moisten end of seaweed with a small amount of water to seal the roll.
- Cut into rounds approximately ½ inch thick.
Nutritional information Edit
one serving = 3 pieces
- cilantro filling: calories: 79 | protein: 2g | fat: 2 g
- shrimp filling: calories: 68 | protein: 3g | fat: 2 g
- prosciutto filling : calories: 95 | protein: 4g | fat: 2 g