- 4 – 6 servings
- 800 g (1 lb 9 oz) aubergines [eggplants]
- 800 g (1 lb 9 oz) ripe tomatoes
- 250 g (8 oz) mozzarella cheese
- 150 g (5 oz) grated grana or Parmesan cheese
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- oil for frying
- 5 – 6 basil leaves
- Remove stalks and cut the aubergines into slices about ½ cm (¼ in) thick.
- Sprinkle with salt, arrange in layers in a colander set on a plate and leave to drain for about 1 hour to rid them of their bitter juices.
- Rinse, dry well, then deep-fry in hot oil.
- Make the sauce; blanch the tomatoes in water for 30 seconds, drain, peel and seed.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the basil leaves - washed and shredded - and the tomatoes sprinkled with a little salt and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Arrange a layer of the fried aubergine slices in a baking dish; spread with the tomato sauce, cover with a few slices of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Continue in this manner until all the ingredients have been used, the top layer being one of tomato sauce.
- Bake at 180°C (350°F / gas 4) for about 50 minutes.