Fruit & Vegetable Recipes II by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 4
- 4 large onions, peeled
- ½ cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- Place onions in medium saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Cut in half and place in a large shallow skillet. Mix bread crumbs, salt, thyme, and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the mixture on top of each onion half.
- Drizzle oil over crumb mixture, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Cover bottom of skillet with 1 inch of water. Cover pan and cook over medium heat for 25 minutes, occasionally spooning pan liquid over onions. Add additional water if liquid evaporates.