Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato purée
- 2 fresh, hot chilies, seeded and chopped
- 2½ lb butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups low-sodium, chicken broth (remove fat) (or vegetable stock)
- pepper to taste
- very small amount of salt (optional)
- lime wedges
- In a large, non-aluminum saucepan, warm the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the onions, carrots, and garlic.
- Cook for 3 minutes and then cover the pan.
- Lower heat and cook for 3 or 4 more minutes, until the vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chilies, butternut squash, and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Mash the squash pieces with a potato masher or the back of a spoon (the soup does not need to be completely smooth), season to taste (optional) and serve.
- Pass lime wedges to be squeezed into each bowl of soup.
- Serve with corn bread.