Yacht Club potato chips
- Makes about 4 cups of chips
- Using a mandolin adjusted to the thinnest cutting width, slice the potatoes paper thin, and immediately place the slices in a large bowl filled with cold salted water.
- In a deep fryer or a frying pan over medium-high heat, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375°F, or until a slice of potato sizzles when it touches the oil.
- Drain the potato slices, pat them dry with paper towels, and fry a handful at a time, turning with a slotted spoon until brown and crisp.
- Do not fry too many chips at once, or the oil temperature will fall and the chips will be soggy rather than crisp.
- Drain on a paper-towel-lined platter, transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle liberally with salt, and serve hot.