This recipe comes from a friend of mine from Trinidad. She serves these candies every Christmas.
- 1 papaya, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- ¾ cup sugar (per every cup of papaya)
- green food coloring or red food coloring
- Squeeze excess juice out of the grated papaya.
- Measure the papaya: to every cup of papaya, add ¾ cup sugar.
- Mix the papaya, sugar, lime peel and lime juice in a saucepan.
- Cook slowly over medium/low heat until the mixture "gels".
- Add a few drops of food coloring.
- Shape into balls and roll the balls in granulated sugar.