Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 3-4 hours in the refrigerator
An easy dessert to make that is always a crowd-pleaser is panna cotta with fresh picked wild berries - the combination of the rich, creamy, vanilla panna cotta with with tart & tangy berry sauce drizzled atop is a perfect match.
Panna Cotta Edit
- 2 sheets of gelatin
- scant ½ cup milk
- 2¼ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
Berry Sauce Edit
- 1 pint of your favorite berries or cherries
- ¼ cup or less sugar (depending on sweetness of berries)
- ¼ cup of water
- optional - mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, etc.
- Fill a bowl with water, add the gelatin and let is soak.
- Pour milk into a pan and bring to just below simmering, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Do not let it boil.
- Drain and squeeze out the gelatin and add the milk.
- Pour the cream into another pan, add the sugar and vanilla bean and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat, remove the vanilla bean and stir in the milk mixture.
- You can put the mixture into any kind of ramekin, mold, cup, you like.
- Rinse your 'glass' in ice-cold water, shaking out any excess water and fill with the milk mixture.
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours until set (at least 3-4 hours).
- Turn out onto a serving dish and serve with fruit sauce or chocolate sauce.
- Put the berries, sugar and water in a pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the fruit breaks down and forms a syrup.
- Drizzle over the top of the panna cotta once on the serving plate.