Pickled Swiss chard
- 1 bushel Swiss chard (strip - saving stalks. Wash well.)
- 4 quarts of water in a large pot
- 1 teaspoon dried yeast
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Boil water in 4-gallon pot. Add Swiss chard. Mix well and boil approximately 15–20 minutes. Test stalk for tenderness. Do not overcook. Remove from heat. Strain and lower stalks into cold water to cover.
- Pour 4 quarts of water in a large pot, add 1 teaspoon dried yeast, ⅛ teaspoon red pepper, 1 tablespoon crushed garlic, 2 tablespoons salt. Mix well (taste for salt content).
- Remove Swiss chard from cold water and mix into yeast mixture. Cover with large white dish cloth and cover with pan cover. Let set 1 day. Mix well before pouring. into one or two quart jars.
- Fill to top with the seasoned water. Cover tightly and store up side-down for a few days. Then turn upright and store in cool place. The longer it sets, the better it tastes.