This savory pancake is great for Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday - or other special occasions.
As a main meal, this serves 3 people 2 large pancakes.
For appetizers, use a smaller pan and serve 6 people 2 smaller pancakes each.
- 100g / 3.5 oz wild rice
- 150g / 5oz firm tofu
- 350g / 12 oz mushrooms (any variety - try a mixture of button and enoki)
- 6 eggs
- 750ml / 24 fl oz milk (3 Australian cups)
- 185g / 6oz plain (general purpose) flour (1.5 Australian cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons kecap manis
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped coriander
- 1 fresh ginger stem
- 1 fresh red chili
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Cook the wild rice according to the pack instructions (for example, it may require simmering for 45 minutes).
- Beat the 6 eggs.
- Melt the 125g butter - and leave to cool.
- Grate 2 tablespoons of the ginger .
- Chop the coriander.
- Chop the mushrooms.
- Finely chop the red chili.
- Finely chop the spring onions.
- Cut the tofu into 1cm (1/2 inch) cubes.
- Crush the 2 cloves of garlic.
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder.
Cooking directions Edit
- Mix the beaten eggs, milk, and cooled melted butter. (The butter must be cooled or you'll scramble the eggs!)
- Whisk until smooth.
- Then gradually whisk in the sifted flour and baking powder until smooth.
- Add kecap manis and coriander.
- Cool in the refrigerator - preferably for an hour.
- The rice needs to be pre-cooked according to the instructions on the pack.
- In a wok, heat the olive oil and add the ginger, spring onions, and chili. Stir fry on high for 3 minutes. Then mix with the cooked rice. Leave to cool.
- Mix together the 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, the tablespoon of lime juice, the 2 cloves of crushed garlic, and the tablespoon of sesame seeds.
- Heat some oil in a wok.
- Stir fry the tofu cubes on high for 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Add the mushrooms and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the soy sauce mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Keep over a low heat until ready to serve.
- Mix the cooled rice with the batter.
- Use either the remaining 60g of butter or use a spray oil to coat a frying pan.
- Pour in 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup of batter depending on the size of your pan.
- Cook until set enough to flip over (around 2 minutes on a medium heat).
- Flip over and cook until the bottom starts to brown.
- Stack on a warm plate and continue with the rest of the batter. Stir the batter before adding it each time to ensure the rice is mixed through.
Serve the mushroom mixture inside a folded pancake.