Fruit of the Month: Peach by the US Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 2 cups (1 lb) fresh, ripe Summerwhite California peaches, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup minced scallions
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- jalapeno chilis, seeded, de-veined and minced (to taste)
- superfine sugar (to taste)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ t five-spice powder
- 2 Tbsp safflower oil
- 4 (1½ lbs) Chilean sea bass steaks, 6 oz each, skinned and boned
- cilantro sprigs (for garnish)
- lime wedges (for garnish)
- Combine diced peaches, scallions, cilantro, chilis, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Set aside for at least one hour at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Mix in lime juice before serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix five-spice powder with oil and brush onto both sides of steaks.
- Heat large sauté pan over high heat until it begins to smoke.
- Sear sea bass until golden brown on both sides. Finish cooking to desired doneness in the oven.
- To serve, place one steak on each of the four plates. Divide salsa evenly and spoon over and along side. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and lime wedges.