Pae Pya Khao (Fried tofu) is an excellent appetizer or a side dish for vegetarians. It’s also best served with bread.
- Serves 4 people.
- 1 Chinese tofu cake
- 3 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- ¼ cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 tablespoon green chili, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- Cut the tofu into rectangles 1-inch wide and 2 inches long.
- Place on absorbent paper towels to get rid of excess water.
- Put oil in a skillet and heat.
- Fry tofu over moderate heat.
- Remove the tofu from skillet when it turns light brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Remove half of the oil from the skillet.
- Stir and brown the onion in the oil for 2 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add tomato, chile, soy sauce, cumin seed and salt. Stir-fry for 1–2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water into the mixture and cover the skillet.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the tofu and stir. Cook for 3 more minutes.