Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Pae Pya Khao (Fried tofu) is an excellent appetizer or a side dish for vegetarians. It’s also best served with bread.
- Serves 4 people.
- 1 Chinese tofu cake
- 3 tablespoons corn or peanut oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small rutabaga, peeled
- ¼ cup chopped ripe tomato
- 1 tablespoon green chili, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup water
- Cut the tofu into rectangles 1-inch wide and 2 inches long.
- Place on absorbent paper towels to get rid of excess water.
- Put oil in a skillet and heat.
- Fry tofu over moderate heat.
- Remove the tofu from skillet when it turns light brown on both sides. Set aside.
- Remove half of the oil from the skillet.
- Stir and brown the onion in the oil for 2 minutes over moderate heat.
- Add tomato, chile, soy sauce, cumin seed and salt. Stir-fry for 1–2 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup water into the mixture and cover the skillet.
- Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the tofu and stir. Cook for 3 more minutes.