Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
This Y-group is international. Good food from all parts of the world. A place where we can share the wonderful food from all over the world.
- 1 greased casserole dish (use whatever you like for greasing, PAM or butter or margarine) I would not use shortening it gives the recipe too strong a taste and we can do without the extra fat.
- 1½ lbs of a combination of beef, pork, and veal ground meat
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 3 carrots chopped very small
- 2 tablespoons of tomato purée
- 1 garlic clove very finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion medium sized very finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste. I like to use the beef broth powder as my seasoning, as it already has salt in it.
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil or vegetable oil
- 6 potatoes (+ milk and butter to mash them)
- 1 or 2 cans of corn
- 1 or 2 cans of peas
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- First cook potatoes with a little salt.
- Mash the potatoes, do not use milk or butter. Just the potatoes.
- Have this ready before cooking the meat mixture.
- Depending on the size of your casserole dish, use 1 or 2 cans of corn or 1 small package of frozen corn, you can also use fresh corn if it is available.
- Use enough to form one layer of corn in the casserole dish after you add the meat mixture.
- 1 or 2 cans of peas, but frozen peas keep their shape better or one small package of frozen peas.
- Mashed potatoes.
- Begin by browning the meats with the oil.
- Add the vegetables, that is, the celery, carrots, garlic and onion until tender.
- Add the tomato purée and the seasoning.
- When the meat mixture is ready, meaning the meat is no longer red and the vegetables are almost tender, pour this into a greased casserole dish in one layer.
- Add the corn and layer on top of the meat.
- Add the peas and layer on top of the corn.
- Add the mashed potatoes and layer on top of the peas.
- Sprinkle a couple of pinches of paprika.
- Place it in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown.