Traditional Benin soup cooked and served in earthenware pots and serve as accompaniment to boiled yam or plantain.
- 500 g / l lb smoked fish (washed)
- 250 g / 8 oz fresh tomatoes (ground)
- 100 g / 4 oz fresh chiles (ground)
- 100 g / 4 oz ground crayfish
- 6 tablespoons palm oil
- 5 g kan (potash)
- 3 g iro (locust bean)
- 600 ml / 1 pint water
- Pour the stock into a clean pot, add the washed fish and rest of the ingredients except the oil.
- Season, cover and cook for 10–15 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat allow to cool for 10 minutes then gradually stir in the oil until it is thick in consistency and golden yellow in colour.
- Adjust seasoning and serve.