This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Turner Estate in Dallas, Texas in 1997.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9 slices French bread
- In small pan cook brown sugar, butter and corn syrup until thick.
- Pour into ungreased rectangular baking pan.
- Arrange peeled apple slices on top of caramel on pan bottom.
- In a bowl beat eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Dip bread slices into the mixture for 1 minute and place bread slices on top of apples.
- Pour any remaining mixture over bread.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Combine syrup ingredients in a medium saucepan stirring frequently until hot.
- Serve over french toast.