Purchased from the Cummings estate in Durant, Oklahoma in 1987. Date and source unknown. Marked as a favorite holiday main course.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1-tablespoon white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup beef bouillon
- Heat oil to medium and add lamb shanks.
- Cook over medium heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove lamb.
- Add onions, green pepper and garlic, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Place lamb in 2-quart casserole.
- Top with tomato sauce mixture.
- Cover and bake in 325°F oven 2 hours, or until lamb shanks are tender.