Contributed by Paula in California at Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 packet (16-ounces) 15 or 10 bean soup mix, with Cajun seasoning included
- 2 ham hocks or ½ pound ham steak
- 1 can (12-ounces) beer
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped, (up to 4)
- 1 can stewed Mexican tomatoes
- 1 can diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 pound hot Polish sausage
- ½ pound raw, boneless chicken breast
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Combine beans, 7 cups water, beer, ham hocks, seasoning packet in large 6 – 8 quarters pan.
- Bring to boil and reduce to a rapid simmer.
- Add chopped onions, celery, garlic and tomatoes to pan.
- Simmer, covered, for at least 2 hours.
- Remove ham meat, chop fine, and add rest of meat, cut into small chunks.
- Simmer for 1½ hours more until beans are soft.