Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Butler Estate in Irving, Texas in 1988.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ⅓ cup shortening
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2½ cups cake flour sifted
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 6 tablespoons hot coffee
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioner's sugar
- Cream shortening with the sugar then mix and sift flour, baking powder and salt and add these alternately to the first mixture with the water and extract.
- Fold in beaten egg yolks.
- Bake in greased and floured sheet pan for 35 minutes at 350°F.
- When cake is cool cut in half and put together with frosting.
- For frosting combine cocoa and coffee then add butter and vanilla.
- Add sugar gradually until correct consistency.