Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Can be frozen
- Makes 6 servings
- 4 ounces almond flour, 1 cup
- ½ cup golden flax meal, 2 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 ounce pecans, chopped, ¼ cup
- 1 cup granular Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons water or orange juice 
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, from 1 small orange
- 2 eggs
- In a small bowl, stir together the almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, salt, nuts and granular Splenda, if using.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, the extracts, cream, water and orange zest.
- Add the dry ingredients  and the eggs to the butter mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until well blended.
- Fill 6 paper-lined muffin cups with the batter, dividing it evenly among them.
- You can spray the liners with cooking spray, but they didn't seem to stick too much.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 – 20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
- Cool 5 minutes on a rack before removing from the pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Serve with butter or cream cheese spread.
- ↑ using orange juice doesn't affect the net carb count per muffin.
- ↑ You can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time and store them in a zipper bag in the freezer until you're ready to make the muffins. Be sure to label the bag and bring the muffin mix to room temperature before using.
Nutritional information Edit
Per 1 muffin serving, with granular Splenda:
- 284 Calories | 24g Fat | 8g Protein | 12g Carbohydrate | 5g Dietary Fiber | 7g Net Carbs
Per 1 muffin serving, with liquid Splenda:
- 268 Calories | 24g Fat | 8g Protein | 8g Carbohydrate | 5g Dietary Fiber | 3g Net Carbs