This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Cabrera Estate in Malakoff, Texas in 1986.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 thick slices French bread
- butter for frying
- Combine eggs, orange juice, milk, vanilla, orange zest and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Dip bread in the egg mixture.
- Place in a container large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Pour any remaining egg mixture over the bread and refrigerate covered overnight.
- Fry in butter in a skillet or griddle until golden brown on both sides.