An international combination of French bread, authentic fruit, milk, and eggs is made imperial for breakfast and cooked to smooth perfection, as it is great for breakfast or dessert and keeps a natural aroma with the oranges and bread.
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 12 thick slices French bread
- butter, for frying
- Combine eggs, orange juice, milk, vanilla, orange zest and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well. Dip bread in the egg mixture.
- Place in a container large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Pour any remaining egg mixture over the bread and refrigerate covered overnight.
- Fry in butter in a skillet or griddle until golden brown on both sides. Serve hot and plain or with other desserts.