Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Curry Orange Beef from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle & King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 small shallots, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean beef, extra fat trimmed, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 3 medium sized oranges
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Jasmine rice, optional
- ½ of a medium sized cucumber, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain, low fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic and beef and cook for 5 minutes until beef is browned on all sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine curry paste and beef broth and stir until curry is blended. Pour into beef mixture. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Take one orange and wash the outside with warm water and soap to remove any leftover germs from customer handling at the store then dry. Next, gently grate the outer peel of the orange but avoid any of the bitter white pith. Place grated peel in a small bowl. Cut the orange in half then squeeze out the juice into a separate bowl. Peel the remaining two oranges then segment them apart. Cut down the length of a segment then carefully remove the flesh from the segment skin and set aside.
- Blend the cornstarch with the orange juice until thoroughly mixed then pour the juice and grated peel into the beef mixture 5 minutes before the 1 hour simmering time is done. Stir until the sauce starts to thicken. Stir in the orange segments, cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients of the cucumber raita and place in a serving bowl.
- Serve the beef with jasmine rice and pass the raita at the table.