- 1 medium orange
- ½ cup (125 ml) shortening
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) granulated sugar replacement or granulated fructose
- 1 egg
- 2 cup (500 ml) flour
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) buttermilk
- Juice and grate the rind of the orange; remove seeds from the juice.
- cream together shortening and sugar replacement.
- Add egg, orange juice and grated orange rind, beating until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in sifter, and add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture.
- Stir to blend.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto lightly greased cookie sheets, 2 to 3 inches (5 to 7 cm) apart.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 12 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
- Exchange 1 cookie with sugar replacement: ⅓ fruit + ⅓ fat | calories 27
- Exchange 1 cookie with fructose: ⅓ fruit + ⅓ fat | calories 30