Orange-Scented Rice from the Public Health Cookbook -- original source of recipe, public domain government resource
- Serves: 4
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, smashed and finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- grated rind and juice of 1 medium orange
- 1 tablespoon raisins, chopped
- 1¼ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallots and cook while stirring for 3 – 4 minutes until they become softened.
- Add the rice and cook for 3 minutes until well coated, stirring constantly.
- Add the ginger, bay leaves, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the grated rind, orange juice and raisins and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the chicken stock.
- Raise the heat and bring to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for about 15 – 17 minutes or until rice is cooked through and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, uncover and discard the bay leaves, star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Place cover back on saucepan and let stand for about 15 minutes to rest then serve.